State of the Airlines

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

NEWS: Delta Airlines Gets a Nod

Today's hero is Calyon Securities'airline analyst Ray Neidl. Mr. Neidl has attained this lofty status because he, like those named Today's Hero before him, agrees with my opinions. In this case, Mr. Neidl has upgraded the firms outlook on Delta Airlines after meeting with management to discuss their plans. He states in his notes regarding the upgrade that "After meeting with management, our confidence that Delta can execute its plan to address its cost structure and overly leveraged balance sheet has increased". Neidl goes on to say (using a lot of complicated financial guy language) that he believes Delta's plans to cut costs and improve its operation and fare structure will bear fruit. I couldn't agree more.

The 9 people who have seen my blog know that I jumped on the Delta bandwagon when I saw what they were doing to simplify their fare structure. I actually took a seat on the bandwagon when they announced Operation Clockwork. The bottom line is that I think Delta Airlines is taking a measured,focused logical approach to the changes they believe will carry them into the new airline world order. And now at least one analyst agrees.