State of the Airlines

Friday, March 11, 2005

NEWS: Hawaiian Airlines Plans for Bankruptcy Exit

If all goes according to plan Hawaiian Airlines should exit bankruptcy in early April. A key piece of that plan will be the pilots and flight attendants ratifying their respective contracts. Its been a long haul for Hawaiian who have been in bankruptcy since March 2003. The court has approved this exit plan despite the fact that one of Hawaiian's investors has been charged with conspiracy to commit bankruptcy fraud by the FBI.

I'll admit that I did not think that Hawaiian Airlines would be the first of the island airlines out of bankruptcy. I thought Aloha would beat them to the punch and for a time I doubted Hawaiian would even make it out of bankruptcy. The difficulties they had with their labor contracts looked terminal and other aspects of their bankruptcy were more difficult to deal with. But what do I know. I do still believe that the first of the island airlines out of bankruptcy is going to have an advantage. But...once again...what do I know. Hide and watch.