State of the Airlines

Thursday, September 14, 2006

A380?...Please Standby

The wounds from Airbus' June announcement that delivery of its A380 would be delayed by seven months have hardly healed and now more trouble looms large. ATW's is reporting that another delay is imminent and some sources are saying the delay could be up to one year. Brutal timing for Airbus parent EADS who are (a) not parting amicably with former partner BAE and (b) trying to attract interest from new investors.

I say we nickname the A380 "The Albatross" because the aircraft is quickly becoming just that, an albatross around their neck. Editor's Note: If the whole albatross thing makes no sense then I invite you to click here for a quick explanation. I still believe that the A380 was not a good idea to begin with. Not because I thought it would be so difficult to build but because I don't think the business model makes sense.

Here are some blasts from my past rants on this aircraft
Is this a viable aircraft?
Will the cost model prove sustainable for this aircraft?
Will enough airports modify their runways and facilities to take the aircraft?

Labels: ,